“Consistency is far better than rare moments of greatness.”
The challenge is actually executing that virtue.
1. ACT in harmony with the way you see yourself. That’s the big assignment. And it’s not an easy one to take one.
2. ALIGN your responses with your values. That way you won’t have to try to remember what you said.
3. ASK what would be so typical of you to do in this situation. Then do that. Establish enough predictability that you can prove people’s expectations every time.
4. ASSURE the first words out of your mouth are consistent with your brand. So much so that when you answer the phone, people nod and smile at your seamlessness.
5. BE The You you’ve always wanted to become. After all, living falsehoods is exhausting. And with the exception of Danny Ganz, Dana Carvey and Frank Caliendo, impressionists rarely make it big.
6. BEHAVE (right now) consistent with the attitude you strive to maintain. Otherwise people will not listen to your words because they’ll be too busy examining the character deficiency within your actions.
7. CHOOSE what few things you will consistently make part of your life, regardless of the circumstances. These become your non-negotiables. Your must-haves, must-do’s and must-be’s.
8. DECIDE if this choice will bring you closer to the highest version of yourself. If it won’t, consider making a different one. Life’s too short.
9. DETERMINE what values & aspirations you want your behaviors to be aligned with. Then keep them typed out on a little laminated card in your wallet.
10. DO what a cool company would do in this situation. Because cool companies get noticed, get remembered and GET business. And that’s good for business.
11. DO what consistency would do in this situation. Because consistency is far better than rare moments of greatness. Not to mention, it’s a hell of a lot easier.
12. DO what the person you are trying to become would do. This brings you one step closer. One chisel smack away from revealing the sculpture inside the stone.
13. DO what YOU would do in this situation. Wear a bracelet that reads, “WWID?” That should start some interesting conversations.
14. DO whatever you have to do to make this agree with your vision. And after a while, if you still can’t match the two up, bag it.
15. GIVE to this situation that which only you alone can offer. Preferably, that which you were designed to cure. That which you are known for knowing. That which you can’t help but doing and being.
16. GO out of your way to ME-ize this moment. Stamp it with the emblem of YOU.
17. IMAGINE what it would mean and look like to be true to your values here. That will most likely impel you into action.
18. KEEP on the path that aligns your actions to your values. It has the best view, the fewest potholes and the least amount of litter.
19. LET the best YOU come across in this situation. Any other version is robbing other people of experiencing your awesomeness.
20. LISTEN to who you are before responding. That split second pause might actually improve your answer.
21. MAKE choices that add wood to your internal fire. Then watch that baby burn, burn burn.
22. MOVE in a way that honors your soul. Because that will actually honor OTHER people’s souls too.
23. PLACE structure around yourself to make sure you remember what to do consistently. Sticky notes work. Mantras written on the wall work. Silicone bracelets work.
24. PONDER what the earlier version of yourself would have done in this situation. Then decide if the current version of yourself knows a better way.
25. PRACTICE bringing a little more of yourself to every situation. Not too much. Just enough that you walk away thinking, “I really felt like MYSELF back there.”
26. PREACH the message that is the dominant reality of your life. Otherwise people will not listen to you because of the non-stop noise of your character deficiency.
27. REMEMBER that flawless execution doesn’t exist. Make mistakes, make them early and make them quick. Write them down and what you learned. Then keep moving.
28. SPEAK from a place of personal truth. It makes you more listenable.
29. STAMP everything with you do with your brand, or else don’t bother doing it. After all, what happens when everybody loves it, but doesn’t know who made it?
30. STAY in alignment with the best working model of your identity. Which means you should probably create that model first.
31. STRIVE to behave in a manner that is consistent with your self-concept. It’s hard to do but it will serve you well.
32. USE this experience to continuing becoming the highest version of yourself. Because that’s the only version people will benefit from.
LET ME ASK YA THIS…
How much money is being inconsistent costing you?
LET ME SUGGEST THIS…
For the list called, “33 Daily Practices for Boosting Your Managerial Magnetism,” send an email to me, and I’ll send you the list for free!
* * * *
That Guy with the Nametag
Author, Speaker, Coach, Entrepreneur
Check out Scott’s Online Quotation Database for a bite-sized education on branding success!