How often do you spy on yourself?
You know, seeing how you’re doing? Checkin’ yourself out? Observing various situations and experiences behind that internal pane of two-way glass, taking furious notes?
I love it. It’s educational AND fun!
But it’s not easy. And part of this process comes from your ability to detach, disassociate and sort of ‘get out of yourself’ for a while, looking inward at your own behavior.
One practice I’ve found to be successful is self-questioning. Gently poking your inner landscape with an inquiry or two about what’s going on in the moment.
Here’s a list of 26 questions to add to your Self Spy Skit.
NOTE: Pick maybe 2-3 examples from this list. (You don’t want to flood your brain with TOO many questions or else you brain might explode!) So, practice asking yourself these types questions on a regular basis in a relaxed, yet curious manner.
REMEMBER: Spying on yourself helps you practice BEING yourself.
1. Is there anyone in my life that I treat this way?
2. Is this a new idea, or have you been working on it for a while?
3. Is this a personality tendency or a character defect?
4. Is this a problem or a predicament?
5. Is this an incident, a trend or a pattern?
6. Is this an opportunity or a torpedo?
7. Is this as exciting as I thought it would be?
8. Is this consistent with what I value?
9. Is this decision health promoting and life supporting?
10. Is this goal worthy of your time and passion?
11. Is this information necessary to the excellence of my work?
12. Is this life-cycle the one you want to be known from?
13. Is this person capable of giving me what I want?
14. Is this probable possible?
15. Is this really the right time to play the emotion card?
16. Is this something that might happen whether you worry about it or not?
17. Is this the most compelling message you can create?
18. Is your advisor giving a solo performance?
19. Is your anger justified?
20. Is your attitude better than it was yesterday?
21. Is your goal actually arbitrary?
22. Is your life beautiful?
23. Is your life full of minutes or moments?
24. Is your life working?
25. Is your purpose clear and specific enough?
26. Is your seeking destroying the journey?