As the 3,000 Days of Nametagging celebration continues, I thought we’d spend today talking about misconceptions. Here are a few I’ve discovered in my own business. I challenge you to come up with a list of your own:
1. Access isn’t presence. You can still “be there” and offer value to your clients if you’re across the country.
2. Activity isn’t results. Beware of mistaking one for the other.
3. Advising isn’t listening. Especially if the person didn’t ASK you for advice.
4. Aloneness isn’t loneliness. It’s just a healthy form of solitude that all humans need.
5. Art isn’t linear. So, beware of imposing too many rules.
6. Attention isn’t infinite. Make sure your message is quick, simple and digestible.
7. Biography isn’t destiny. Because you ALWAYS have a choice.
8. Change isn’t weakness. In fact, it’s quite the opposite.
9. Complaining isn’t attractive. Like farting, complaining relieves you but annoys others.
10. Create without responsibility. And just make art for the sake of making art.
11. Creativity isn’t enough. Nope. You need talent, discipline and passion.
12. Difficult isn’t impossible. Keep plugging away.
13. Duplicity isn’t advantageous. Don’t allow your mind to split.
14. Education isn’t knowing. No matter how many books you read.
15. Evidence isn’t proof. It only suggests the possibility of proof.
16. Excellence isn’t optional. It’s the price of admission.
17. Facelessness isn’t accidental. Companies are monoliths because they choose to be.
18. Faith isn’t fact. You don’t “know,” you simply “believe.”
19. Fit isn’t thin. Magazines are liars.
20. Growth isn’t automatic. It’s a choice. It’s a daily duty.
21. Humility isn’t weakness. In fact, it’s quite the opposite.
22. Information isn’t communication. Make your emails shorter.
23. Information isn’t wisdom. Because we learn not from our experiences, but from intelligent reflection upon them.
24. Knowing isn’t understanding. You have to LIVE it first.
25. Listening isn’t agreeing. It’s OK to say, “I respectfully disagree.”
26. Motion isn’t progress. Is what you’re doing RIGHT NOW consistent with your #1 goal?
27. Obvious isn’t easy. Be careful what you dismiss.
28. Passion isn’t unrealistic. It only seems that way to people who are too afraid to express their passion.
29. Pressuring isn’t listening. It’s just awkward.
30. Quitting isn’t failing. Not if you do it at the right time.
31. Reading isn’t believing. Doing, living, being – now THAT’S believing!
32. Respect isn’t weakness. In fact, it’s quite the opposite.
33. Retreat isn’t defeat. Walking away is smart.
34. Satisfaction isn’t retention. The real question is, “How many of their friends did they tell about you?”
35. School isn’t education. Where’s your classroom?
36. Success isn’t bestsellers. It’s contribution, significance and validation.
37. Success isn’t perfection. How often do you screw up?
38. Sunday isn’t enough. Your spiritual practice is daily.
39. Suspending isn’t losing. Don’t be such a control freak. Gosh!
40. Technique isn’t enough. Nope. Your heart and soul must be there too. Or else the audience will KNOW.
LET ME ASK YA THIS…
What misconceptions might be hurting YOUR business?
LET ME SUGGEST THIS…
For the list called, “65 Things I Wish Someone Would Have Told Me When I First Started My Company,” send an email to me, and I’ll send you the list for free!
* * * *
That Guy with the Nametag
Author, Speaker, Coach, Entrepreneur
How are you using your ears as a sales tool?
Buy Scott’s new book and learn how to
sell enable people to buy!
Pick up your copy (or a case!) right here.