Katz’s Deli is a delicatessen on the Lower East Side of New York City. Been around since 1888.
But it’s not just any old deli.
Katz’s was the site of Meg Ryan’s famous fake-orgasm scene (“I’ll have what she’s having”) in the 1989 romantic comedy When Harry Met Sally.
THE BEST PART: the table at which she and Billy Crystal sat is clearly marked with a sign that says, “Where Harry met Sally…hope you have what she had!”
LESSON LEARNED: enshrine your business.
Think about it. Go to your local Borders and grab any bestselling book. Somewhere on the front cover there will most likely be a little sticker. A starburst. An emblem. A little extra eye-catching piece of signage.
It usually says something like:
‘Featured on Oprah’s book club!’
‘Pulitzer prize winner!’
‘Over ten million copies sold!’
‘Now a major motion picture movie!’
It’s about credibility.
It’s about leveraging the media.
It’s about upping the value perception of your product.
It’s all about the sticker.
Of course, it doesn’t actually have to be a ‘sticker.’
Just something (anything!) that ENSHRINES your product, company, service or website.
Here’s a list of Seven Ways to Enshrine Your Business. By using these leverage techniques, you will create a more valuable, more credible perception of your brand:
1. Media appearances, i.e., ‘Featured on’ or ‘As seen on’
2. Awards, i.e., ‘Winner of’ or ‘Finalist for’
3. Time, i.e., ‘20 Years of Business!’ or ‘Since 1878!’
4. Elite Status, i.e., ‘President’s Club’ or ‘Million Dollar Society’
5. Quantity, i.e., ‘Over 99 billion burgers sold!’ or ‘50 million copies in print!’
6. Endorsement, i.e., ‘Where Oprah buys her underwear!’ or ‘The Official Nametag of Scott Ginsberg!’
7. Expansion, i.e., ‘Now a worldwide franchise!’ or ‘Now a major motion picture!’
LESSON LEARNED: stick yourself out there, get them to come to you.
So, whichever enshrining technique you use, one thing’s for certain.
Next time a potential customer comes to your store, website or place of business, they’re gonna see it. And just like with Meg Ryan, they’ll be thinking, ‘I’ll have what she’s having!’
LET ME ASK YA THIS…
Is your business enshrined?