What’s more, coincidence is NOT “God’s way of remaining anonymous.” We all know who did it. We all know who’s at work. And it isn’t us. Coincidence is God’s nametag. Is it sticking to you?
2. Complacency is the constant capsizer of relationships. Too comfortable. Too happy. Too perfect. This is not good. As my aunt Vicki likes to remind me, “When everything’s perfect, someone isn’t being honest.”
Now, I’m not saying you should fight all the time. But if nothing’s ever wrong, something’s wrong. Do you really need to watch another episode of Law & Order, or do you need to sit down a have a conversation with the person you love more than anything and spill your heavy heart?
3. Deafness is the ultimate betrayal of self. Your body will never lie to you. TRUTH is the only language it knows. And a like a car, it’s always speaking to you. The question is: Will you listen? Sadly, most people don’t. At least, not until they end up in the hospital or at the pharmacy counter.
And the reality is, they don’t need another pill – they need a hearing aid. Remember: If you’re not listening to your body, you’re a putz. What are you turning a dangerously deaf ear to?
4. Discomfort is the ultimate activator of action. If you’re comfortable, I doubt you’re moving. And if you’re not moving, I doubt you’re making money. The hard part is, sometimes it takes a swift kick to the crotch to get your off your butt.
That’s why it’s invaluable to surround yourself with people who will consistency challenge, inspire and poke you. People that will call you out. People that you can’t hide in the presence of. And people that will tell you when you’re full of crap.
Remember: The more uncomfortable you’re willing to make yourself, the easier it becomes to make a name FOR yourself. Where in your life are you too comfortable?
5. Emotion is the unbreakable dam of reason. Now, that doesn’t mean ZERO emotion. We’re not Vulcans. But an awareness of the power of emotions is necessary to successful navigate the turbulent waters of communication.
Remember: The word “emotion” comes from the same Latin derivative as “disturb.” When you are emotionally involved in conversation, how well do you communicate?
6. Forgiveness is the real fundraiser of freedom. Here’s a fun and effective way to practice forgiveness on a micro level: Respond positively to unnecessary apologies from strangers. Especially when there’s absolutely no need to apologize.
For example, if the woman in front of you in line is waiting for her debit card to go through and she looks back at you with a rushed posture and says, “Sorry…” (as if she just committed the most heinous of all retail atrocities) just smile back, look her straight in the eyes and say, “I forgive you.”
Upon absorbing the ridiculousness of such a statement, she’ll realize that there was no need to apologize in the first place. And who knows? Maybe she’ll start to forgive herself too. I practice this all the time, and it’s one of the great joys in my life – waking people up.
Remember: When you learn to forgive yourself first – then forgive others in advance – freedom will have no choice but to invite itself into your life. Whom do you need to forgive?
7. Rebirth is the inevitable outgrowth of heartbreak. With the requisite amount of awareness and a solid support structure, you can easily convert your current heartbreak into a heartbreathrough. Put an end to the pity party and take the reins on your resurrection opportunity by asking the crucial question:
“Now that I’ve experienced this, what else does this make possible?”
Shift your attitude to a mindset of leverage and you will come out alive stronger and better. How could you leverage your frustration in this situation as motivation to grow into more of the person you’ve always wanted to be?
LET ME ASK YA THIS…
What unavoidable conclusions have you recently come to?
LET ME SUGGEST THIS…
For the list called, “14 Strategies to become the BEST Listener You Know,” send an email to me, and you win the list for free!
* * * *
That Guy with the Nametag
Author, Speaker, Coach, Entrepreneur
Watch video lessons on spreading the word!