1. Are your products positioned, or do they just have clever slogans? You need to be honest with yourself (and your marketing department!) Positioning is about mindshare. Mental shelf space. Memorability. Not Got Milk?
2. Do you match your position? You goal is to be the person your customers hoped you were. Consistency, consistency, consistency.
3. What position do you own? Known FOR some-thing. Known AS some-one. Know TO some-body. Be That Guy.
4. What position do you want to own? Don’t find a niche and ‘fill’ it. Own that sucker. Make it your bitch. Be the ONLY.
5. How can you say no while still positioning yourself as a resource? Even when you say no, you’re still marketing. If you’re not the right fit, tell customers you’ll help the find someone who IS the right fit. That way you’re still the hero. And heroes are often called on again and again. Saying no works.
6. How could I position myself to have ZERO competition? Mr. Miyagi said, ‘The best way to block a bunch is to NOT be there.’ Likewise, the best way to beat the competition