1. Every choice matters. Even the small ones. Especially the small ones. Because in life, that’s about all you can control: Your choices. Even when you make the choice NOT to decide. That’s still a choice, buster. Are you ‘at full choice’ in your life right now?
2. Every conversation matters. Encounters are deposits in people’s banks. Their buckets. Their emotional savings accounts. Seem trust and credibility aren’t just ‘given’ to you. It’s only after you’ve demonstrated a consistent pattern of regular deposits into people’s accounts that you EARN those things. Until then, you’re starting with a negative balance because: (1) Trust and loyalty are at an all time low, and (2) Fear and skepticism are at an all time high. How are your conversations making people feel essential?
3. Everybody’s somebody’s somebody. Which is why it’s just easier to be kind to everybody. Not necessarily NICE, but kind. And sure, you’re not always in the mood. But treating people like crap actually takes more work. How many people did you go out of your way to avoid last week?
4. Everybody’s watching. Watching for you to prove their assumptions right. Watching if your actions match your words. Watching if you are what Google says you are. So: You better know your stuff. You better be ready in AND out of season. And you better be consistent. Who’s watching you?
5. Everyday is gameday. The Big One. The Final Match. The Championship. The World Series. The Superbowl. The World Cup. Once a year? Once every four years? Hell no. Gameday is TODAY, and it’s being broadcast everywhere. So you better be on the ball, son. Will you be ready?
6. Everyone teaches you. Everyone influences you. Everyone is your mentor. Everyone is better than you at something. And if you disagree, perhaps you should reevaluate your answer to the following question. What do you see when you see people?
7. Everything communicates something. Because you can’t NOT communicate. Even when you try. ESPECIALLY when you try. And we’re not just talking about body language and vocal tone. We’re talking about that which is communicated by WHO YOU ARE. After observing your life, what do people assume you know?
8. Everything is practice. But only if your definition of the word, ‘practice’ evolves. If you’re focused on the process, not the product. If you’re focused on the journey, not the destination. If you’re focused deepening and enhancing, not achieving and bettering. Because you’re not striving for perfection. You’re not striving at all. You’re BEING. This present experience, IS practice. For its own sake. For the love of practice. What are you practicing?
9. Everything is prey. Ideas for your business. Content for your writing. Answers to your questions. It’s all fair game; as long as you freeze and experience it through the filter of your unique expertise. Your Theory of the Universe. What did you pluck today?
10. Everything is related. Think that chest cold had nothing to do with your stressful lifestyle? Guess again. Think that decline in sales had nothing to do with your girlfriend dumping with you in the parking lot of 7-11? Wrong-o, pal. And do you think that car accident had nothing to do with the fact that your mindfulness practice is about as still as Pujols bobble head doll? Look in the mirror. Because everything affects everything. What lies are your excuses guarding?
11. Everything takes longer. Deal with it. Stay impossibly patient. Don’t get seduced by the possibility of half-assing your project, or asking someone else to half-ass it for you. Ironically, that approach actually takes longer and costs more. Instead: Go all out. Go big. And be willing to wait. How patient are you willing to be?
12. Everything you do is a signal. About what you believe. About what you value. About who you are. About who you’re NOT. About how leave people. About how you imprint people. What signal are you leaving?
13. Everything’s a performance. Especially since you already learned that everybody’s watching. But don’t be scared off by this reality. You don’t need to put on an act. You simply need to become a master at method acting. Because the character you’re playing is YOU. Do you know your lines?