Passion isn’t a panacea.
This is a common entrepreneurial mistake.
People think that just because they’ve pinpointed their passion – POOF! – They can now magically make a business out of it.
Entrepreneurship isn’t a Beatles song. Passion (or love, for that matter) isn’t all you need.
Passion only becomes profitable when it’s: (1) Enhanced by competence, (2) Entwined with purpose, and (3) Embraced by market demand.
Without achieving harmony between those three elements, your passion will remain a gorgeous (but dangerous) fire that ends up burning you AND everyone you touch.
Not to mention, you also end up annoying the bejesus out of people with your misguided inconsequentiality.
That’s a misfire you and your business can’t afford to make.
In order to prevent that from happening, I invite you to (honestly) ask yourself the following questions:
• Are you passionately incompetent?
• Are you confusing passion with talent and ability?
• How much do you know about running a business?
• Is your passion cool, but irrelevant to the marketplace?
• Is your passion inherently interesting, but difficult to sell?
• Is your passion intrinsically appealing, but something you suck at?
• Will the thrill of your passion dissipate once it becomes a daily task?
• Are you wasting your passion on people who don’t appreciate or deserve it?
• Are there at least ten other people out there who are successfully making money from a passion similar to yours?
• Do you really know how to run a bakery, or do you just like to cook because people always tell you they enjoy your cupcakes?
• If you DID end up making a business out of your passion, how long before you start to feel robbed of your true talent because you’re wasting most of your time and energy on menial, soul-sucking activities that have nothing to do with your passion?
Not to be Debby Downer or anything.
But somebody’s got to say it.
REMEMBER: Passion without competence is nothing but misguided energy; passion without purpose is nothing but chaotic fire; and passion without a viable market is nothing but a hobby.
LET ME ASK YA THIS…
Will your passion become profit?
LET ME SUGGEST THIS…
For the list called, “86 Passion-Finding Questions to Invite Someone to Talk about What They Love,” send an email to me, and you win the list for free!
* * * *
That Guy with the Nametag
Author, Speaker, Coach, Entrepreneur
HELLO, my name is Scott’s…
“Live your name.”